Multipure Review: Drinking water filtration systems
Multipure was founded in 1970 by the brothers Allen and Alvin Rice.
The Rice brothers ran the company together until 2015, the year Allen Rice passed.
Today Multipure is headed up by CEO Alvin Rice (below right) and headquartered in the US state of Nevada.
As per Rice’s corporate bio;
For over 40 years, Alvin Rice has been leading and operating Multipure with his brother, H. Allen Rice. In 1970, at the age of 22, Alvin co-founded Multipure.
Alvin has spent his entire career dedicated to the operation and growth of Multipure, overseeing everything from Manufacturing, to Marketing, to Business Operations.
He is incredibly proud to work with family, and has educated his son and daughter-in-law with all the knowledge and experience that he has learned in his years building and developing Multipure.
Zachary Rice serves as President of Multipure. His wife Jennifer is Executive Vice-President.
Read on for a full review of the Multipure MLM opportunity.
In 1970 Multipure released its flagship product, a ‘revolutionary solid carbon block filter‘. Even today Multipure claim the filter’s technology has “yet to be surpassed”.
Multipure believes that everyone should have affordable access to high quality drinking water – water that is clean, delicious, and healthful; water that is free of contaminants that could negatively affect its taste, its appearance, and its healthfulness; water that is perfect for families, children, and pets.
Products featured on the Multipure website include:
- Aquasource – “whole-house water solution, providing powerful filtration at the point-of-entry”, retails at $1700
- Aqualuxe – “next generation water filtration”, retails at $1035
- Aquaversa – “powerful and convenient method to obtain cleaner, clearer, more healthful drinking water in your home or office”, retails at $385
- Aquadome – same as the Aquaversa but only for counter-top use, retails at $300
- AquaRO – “combines Multipure’s advanced solid carbon block filter with reverse-osmosis filter technology”, retails at $605
- Wriggle – “portable filtered water bottle”, retails at $50
- Aquagrow – “provides the benefits of cleaner, more healthful water to your yard and garden”, retails at $66
- Aquashower – provides “all the health benefits of Multipure dechlorinated water in your shower”, retails at $56
- Aquasplash – “swirl the Aquasplash in the bathwater for 30 seconds to reduce the presence of chlorine”, retails at $45
Replacement filters and various accessories are also available via the Multipure website.
The Multipure Compensation Plan
The Multipure compensation plan pays affiliates for making retail sales. Residual commissions are paid via a unilevel compensation structure, along with additional performance-based bonuses.
Multipure Affiliate Ranks
There are six affiliate ranks within the Multipure compensation plan.
Along with their respective qualification criteria, they are as follows:
- Junior Builder – sign up as a Multipure affiliate and purchase a “Drinking Water System”
- Executive Builder – generate an accumulated $1000 GV
- Senior Builder – generate an accumulated $5000 GV or personally recruit and maintain four Executives
- Master Builder – generate an accumulated $10,000 GV or personally recruit and maintain four Senior Builders
- Network Director – generate an accumulated $25,000 GV and personally recruit and maintain four Master Builders, or personally sell a minimum of 500 drinking water systems
- National Network Director – generate an accumulated $50,000 GV and personally recruit and maintain eight Master Builders
GV in Multipure is defined as PV generated by an affiliate, 50% of PV generated by personally recruited affiliates (level 1) and 25% of PV generated by their recruited affiliates (level 3).
PV stands for “Personal Volume” and includes retail sales volume and any personal purchases made by an affiliate.
MLM Commission Qualification
To qualify for MLM commissions, a Multipure affiliate must generate $165 in sales volume (PV) over a rolling 4 month period.
Products that count toward (MLM commission qualification) include Drinking Water Systems, Drinking Water System Starter Kits, the Ultimate Business Builder Kit, and Multipure Home Essentials (i.e., the Aquasource Whole House System, wriggle Portable Filtered Water Bottle, Aquagrow, Aquashower,
Monthly Bonus Qualification
Some commissions and bonuses in the Multipure compensation plan are tied to an additional monthly bonus qualification.
- Executive Builder – generate $300 MALV a month
- Senior Builder – generate $600 MALV a month
- Master Builder – generate $1200 MALV a month
- Network Director and National Network Director – generate $2000 MALV a month
Note MALV stands for “Monthly Achievement Level Volume” and is PV generated by
- an affiliate’s own sales (100%)
- personally recruited affiliates (50%)
- affiliates recruited by personally recruited affiliates (25%)
Where applicable I’ve noted the monthly bonus qualification requirement.
Multipure affiliates are paid a retail commission when they sell water filter systems to retail customers (non-affiliates).
For some reason specific retail commission rates for each affiliate rank are not provided in the Multipure compensation plan documentation.
The company does however state that retail commissions are coded, meaning higher ranked affiliates can collect the difference between their rank rate and that of lower ranked recruited affiliates when they make retail sales.
Replacement filter retail sales pay a separate commission according to affiliate rank:
- Senior Builder – 2%
- Master Builder and Network Director – 3%
- National Network Director – 3.5%
If a Senior Builder or higher ranked affiliate meets the Monthly Bonus Qualification criteria, they receive a bonus commission percentage on replacement filter sales:
- Senior Builders receive a bonus 6%
- Master Builders receive a bonus 8%
- Network Directors and National Network Directors receive a bonus 9%
Multipure pay residual commissions via a unilevel compensation structure.
A unilevel compensation structure places an affiliate at the top of a unilevel team, with every personally recruited affiliate placed directly under them (level 1).
If any level 1 affiliates recruit new affiliates, they are placed on level 2 of the original affiliate’s unilevel team.
If any level 2 affiliates recruit new affiliates, they are placed on level 3 and so on and so forth down a theoretical infinite number of levels.
Multipure cap payable unilevel levels at nine, with affiliates paid a percentage of sales volume generated across these ten levels as follows:
- Junior Builder – 5% on level 1 and 2% on level 3
- Executive Builder – 5% on level 1, 2% on level 2 and 0.5% on levels 3 and 4
- Senior Builder – 5% on level 1, 2% on level 2 and 0.5% on levels 3 to 7
- Master Builder and higher – 5% on level 1, 2% on level 2, 0.5 on levels 3 to 7 and 1% on levels 8 and 9
Note that replacement filter sales generate separate sales volume, paid out via the unilevel team as follows:
- Senior Builder – 2% on levels 1 to 7
- Master Builder and Network Director – 3% on levels 1 to 9
- National Network Director – 3.5% on levels 1 to 9
Network Director and National Network Director affiliates who meet Monthly Bonus Qualification requirements receive a 1% bonus on residual replacement filter volume (all 9 levels).
If an Executive Builder or higher Multpure affiliate meets the Monthly Bonus Qualification criteria for their rank, they receive a bonus percentage on residual sales activity:
- Executive Builders receive 3% on level 1 and 1% on level 2
- Senior Builders receive 4% on level 1, 2% on level 2 and 0.5% on levels 3 to 7
- Master Builders receive 5% on level 1, 3% on level 2 and 1% on levels 3 to 9
- Network Directors receive 5.5% on level 1, 3.5% on level 2 and 1% on levels 3 to 9
- National Network Directors receive 6% on level 1, 4% on level 2 and 1.5% on levels 3 to 9
Rank Achievement Bonus
Multipure affiliates who qualify at the Executive Builder and higher ranks receive the following one-time Rank Achievement Bonuses:
- qualify as an Executive Builder = $50
- qualify as a Senior Builder = $100
- qualify as a Master Builder = $250
- qualify as a Network Director = $500
- qualify as a National Network Director = $1000
Multipure affiliate membership requires submission of a “Builder application form” and purchase of a “drinking water system”.
- Aquadome Starter Kit = $440
- Aquaversa Starter Kit = $655
- Aquaperform Starter Kit = $770
- Ultimate Business Builder Kit = $1850
The primary difference between the above kits are which water filtration system(s) are included.
Note that the Ultimate Business Builder Kit comes with, among other products, one Aquadome, Aquaversa and Aquaperform system each.
When I saw that Multipure was a forty-seven year old MLM company, I dreaded the prospect of having to pull apart a draconian compensation plan.
Whether updated or based on the original compensation plan, the good news is Multipure’s plan is pretty straight-forward and easy to digest.
Rank qualification criteria is based on accumulated personal group volume, which is likely to be retail sales.
The option to qualify at the Network Director rank purely based on water system sales was a nice touch. Why this qualification method isn’t offered for all of Multipure’s ranks is however disappointing.
I can’t see a good reason for Multipure to offer a straight sales qualification for lower ranks, and it’d doubles as a great incentive for retail sales too.
The notion that anyone would purchase entire water filtration systems just to qualify for commissions makes little sense, so perhaps that’s why (if you’re not retailing the water systems you’re probably not going to get very far).
One thing I was initially concerned about is the mandatory drinking water system purchase. Upon going through the compensation plan I thought this was a forced purchase in addition to Multipure affiliate membership.
When I researched how to sign up as a Multipure affiliate, I realized a kit purchase (which includes a drinking water system) is mandatory.
I get the importance of trying a least one filtration system for each Multipure affiliate. Had the company of required affiliates purchase a single filtration type, I’d have said that’s a pretty strong case for “pay to play”.
Multipure however have kits for all their primary systems, including an Ultimate Business Builder Kit for those that want to try them all at a discount.
This permits an affiliate to buy a system they’re actually going to use, instead of a “we’re just generating sales volume from newly recruited affiliates” type strategy from corporate.
As a Multipure affiliate you’re going to have to be familiar with the company’s flagship filtration systems, so owning at least one is a must.
If you’ve got a potential retail customer interested, there’s no better way to close the sale than with a personal demonstration.
All that said and done, a significant consideration for each prospective Multipure affiliate is the condition of local drinking water.
Some places are obviously going to make marketing water filtration systems easy, others not so much.
Generally speaking the better your local water quality, the harder it might be to convince people to shell out $300 to $1700 for filtration.
If you can carve out a market, repeat business by way of filter replacement could prove quite lucrative over time.
So long as you keep all of that in mind and are prepared to buy a Multipure drinking water system yourself, good luck!